Top Excuses and why rationalizing sucks
- I don’t have time…. You do have time; it just needs to be it important enough. Make an appointment with yourself and make it a habit.
- I’m too busy – let’s get real, if it’s a priority, you will make time for it, like watching the final episode of Batchelor.
- I don’t like to workout….. You just haven’t found what you like. What excites you? What did you love to do when you were a kid?
- I don’t have anyone to train with….. Grab a friend, join a group, start your own workout club. Like attracts like. There are tons of things to join and do if you just look.
- I can’t afford it…. But you could afford to buy your buddies a round of shots at the bar 3 weekends in a row. Or you could afford those fancy red bottom shoes. Now you really don’t even have to pay to come to the gym. For the price of 1 round of shots you can buy yourself a 16kg kettlebell and get a hell of a workout in at home. Hill sprints and air squats are completely free. Just remember that no amount of shots or fancy red bottomed shoes are going to mask the fact that you are sloppy and out of shape. None.
- I don’t know what to do…. We will gladly answer those questions for you, that is what a coach is for, to answer your questions and point you in the right direction to get the results you want.
- I don’t know where to start…. The most important thing is to start, do something, it doesn’t matter what it is. Still stuck? Hire a coach.
- I don’t want to get ‘big’….. Ladies, you won’t get ‘big’, you will develop nicely defined muscles. Most of us won’t do what it takes to get ‘big’.
- I have a bad __________(knee, back, shoulder) so I can’t workout…… Great excuse, but that is all it is, an excuse. You can always do something, we have countless regressions to keep you moving pain free. Move improve your body!
- I am not motivated.. Another excuse. If you always wait until you feel like it then you won’t do it because your feelings keep you locked into your comfort zone to keep you safe, not successful.
- I worked out before and didn’t see any results….. Did you have specific, measurable goals? Did you have a plan? If not, of course you didn’t see any results, you didn’t have a plan or even know what you wanted in the first place.
- I am too old…. It’s never too late to be what you haven’t been.
- My kids get in the way…. Get it done before they get up, work out while you watch them play soccer or better yet do something with them like biking or hiking. Set an example for living a healthy lifestyle.
- I’m too fat…. We ALL need to get exercise to stay healthy no matter our size.
- I’m already thin…. Being thin doesn’t mean you have a healthy body fat % plus exercise has other benefits besides weight such as lowering blood pressure, reducing stress, etc.
BOTTOM LINE: There will always be an excuse not to, the trick is to find a way to do it. Commit to be fit.